Friday, October 9, 2020

Literary Study of William Shakespeare "Sonnet 29"

Focus: Formalistic Criticism 

SONNET 29 of William Shakespeare
When, in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man’s art and that man’s scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
(Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth) sings hymns at heaven’s gate;
For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

 

Lines: 14 lines

Rhyming scheme: ABABCDCDEBEBFF

Metrical pattern: Iambic pentameter

Stanzas: One-stanza

Sonnet: 

A sonnet is a one-stanza, 14-line poem, written in iambic pentameter. The sonnet, which derived from the Italian word sonetto, meaning “a little sound or song," is "a popular classical form that has compelled poets for centuries," says Poets.org.

Main point: 

Love takes away negative thoughts. The speaker of this sonnet expresses the self-pity of not having all the things that he dreamed of, such as having something that would give him hopes and friends, be good in art, and all the other things that he wishes for. However, when he thinks of the love he received from somebody, he feels better because he thinks that a sweet love from someone is the wealth that is never irreplaceable.

Sonnet structured:

  •  All sonnets have 14 lines, which can be broken down into four sections called quatra.
  • The rhyme scheme of a Shakespearean sonnet, for example, is ABAB / CDCD / EFEF / GG (note the four distinct sections in the rhyme scheme).
  • Sonnets are written in iambic pentameter, a poetic meter with 10 beats per line made up of alternating unstressed and stressed syllables.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lingering Impact of Childhood Trauma: A Journey Through Fear, Anger, and Healing

As I scrolled through social media recently, I stumbled upon a video that immediately brought back memories I had tried for years to forget....