Sunday, September 8, 2024

The Selfish Side of Human Nature: When People Only Value You for What You Can Offer

It’s a tough pill to swallow, but sometimes it feels like people interact with you only when there’s something they can gain from you. Whether it’s emotional support, favors, or even financial help, there’s a disheartening reality that some relationships are more transactional than genuine. You might notice that when you have something to offer, people are suddenly interested, but when you’re not in a position to contribute, you’re often ignored or treated unfairly. This selfish behavior highlights an uncomfortable truth about how people sometimes prioritize their own needs over authentic connection.

Relationships That Feel Transactional

I’ve had a rough experience with this reality in my own life. Some of my friends, who I’ve known for more than four years, became distant once they found new partners, new jobs, and new sets of friends. It was like I was only valuable to them while I was actively involved in their lives. When they moved on to new social circles, I was left behind, feeling discarded once I was no longer part of their daily routines or useful to their needs.

Similarly, my family dynamics have been challenging. My parents only reach out when they need financial assistance. It feels like their communication is tied to what I can provide rather than genuine concern for how I’m doing. My siblings only message me when they need money to support our parents or to help with my younger sister’s education. It’s disheartening to feel like my value to them is measured by what I can contribute financially, rather than by our relationship or my well-being.

Being Ignored When You Have Nothing to Offer

One of the hardest aspects of this selfish behavior is being ignored when you’re not in a position to contribute. When I’m going through my own struggles or simply can’t offer financial help, the same people who used to reach out and engage with me suddenly seem to vanish. It’s as if my worth is only tied to my ability to provide something, whether it’s support, advice, or money. This can leave you feeling isolated and undervalued, especially when you’ve been there for those people in their times of need.

The Unfairness of Selfish Treatment

The unfairness of being treated as less important when you can’t offer anything is tough to handle. It suggests that some people view relationships not as connections but as transactions. This mindset strips away the respect and empathy that should be fundamental in any relationship. Instead of valuing you as a person, they value what you can give them, and when that’s gone, so is their interest.

What’s worse is that people who treat you this way often don’t see their actions as selfish. They might justify their behavior by saying they’re “busy” or that “life happens,” but the reality is that they prioritize relationships based on what they can gain. When you can’t contribute, you’re forgotten, leaving you to feel like you’re only valued when you’re useful.

Breaking Away from Selfish Relationships

Recognizing this pattern of selfish behavior is crucial for protecting yourself. It’s important to step back and evaluate your relationships. Ask yourself: Are these people genuinely interested in me, or are they only around when it benefits them? It’s not easy to distance yourself from those who treat you this way, but setting boundaries is necessary for your emotional well-being.

True relationships are built on mutual respect and support. They shouldn’t feel one-sided or transactional. It’s okay to prioritize yourself and distance yourself from relationships that leave you feeling used or neglected. Surround yourself with people who value you for who you are, not just for what you can offer.

Conclusion: Choosing Authentic Connections

While selfishness might be a part of human nature, it doesn’t have to define all your relationships. Recognizing when people are only interested in you for their own benefit is the first step towards building healthier connections. By focusing on authentic relationships—where both parties give and receive equally—you can foster connections that are fulfilling and respectful. And in the end, that’s what really matters: being valued for who you are, not just for what you can provide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Lingering Impact of Childhood Trauma: A Journey Through Fear, Anger, and Healing

As I scrolled through social media recently, I stumbled upon a video that immediately brought back memories I had tried for years to forget....